Unfortunately, closing your parking lot for paving or sealcoating is unavoidable. First, there is the safety issue; keeping your customers and employees (as well as curious bystanders) away from potentially dangerous work areas and equipment is important to all reputable asphalt contractors. Second, both asphalt pavement and sealcoating need time to dry adequately; allowing traffic to have access prematurely can destroy the work. However, asphalt contractors will work closely with you to make sure that your lot will be out of commission for the shortest time possible, and they will do all that they can to minimize any disruption to your business.
• In most cases, contractors can schedule the work for your off-peak hours. For example, the work could possibly be performed overnight or over a long holiday weekend.
• If you have a large lot that has at least two access points, contractors may be able to perform the work in sections. Each section will be closed individually for the work to be done. In some cases, the completed section can be reopened to traffic before the next section is closed.
• If you are having sealant applied, you might ask your contractor about additives to expedite the drying time. Additives to accelerate drying are commonly used during cooler weather, when humidity levels are high or on parking lots that need additional work, such as striping or second coats.
When it comes to the exact length of time that your lot will need to be closed, you will need to consult your contractor. The ambient temperature, the amount of shade your lot receives and other factors must be taken into consideration. However, as a general rule, you can expect that:
• Without additives, freshly sealed areas will need to be closed to vehicles for 12 to 18 hours although it may be possible to permit pedestrians to have access much sooner.
• New pavement will need to be closed to both pedestrians and vehicles until at least the next day. A closure of 18 to 24 is most common, but under certain conditions, your new pavement could need to remain undisturbed for a longer time.
At All Pro Asphalt, we are accustomed to working with our customers to determine the best way to minimize disruptions resulting from paving and sealcoating projects. We are dedicated to providing you with the highest quality services at competitive prices. Our crews are highly trained, sensitive to the needs of our customers and committed to quality, safety and customer satisfaction. If you would like to request a free, no-obligation estimate, you can submit our online form. To speak with one of our representatives, you can call us at (816) 249-6800.