Lenexa, KS – The History
When the Kansas Territory was created in 1854, the land on which Lenexa would be built was among the allotments granted to individual members of the Shawnee in exchange for relinquishing the 1.6 million acres granted the tribe in an earlier treaty. After several years of political wrangling, permission was given for the tribal members to sell their land if they so desired.
In 1857, a 20-year-old James Butler Hickok — better known as Wild Bill Hickok — arrived in the area and staked a claim at the present-day intersection of 83rd and Clare Road. Historical records are vague regarding the 160 acres that Hickok had claimed, so it is unclear whether Hickok simply moved on or sold the land to another. However, in 1869, a man named C.A. Bradshaw sold some land to the Kansas and Neosho Valley Railroad for a right-of-way and additional acreage to a railroad civil engineer, Octave Chanute, as a site for the town that would be named Lenexa. The name is believed to be derived from the name of the wife of Chief Blackhoof, a Shawnee leader who had been the second signer of the treaty relinquishing the 1.6 million acres given to the tribe for a reservation. Her name appears as Len-Ag-See or Na-Nex-Se on different census records. Therefore, although Lenexa was not incorporated until 1907, the town was actually established in 1869.
For the next 80 years or so, Lenexa remained a sleepy, slow-growing community with an economy based primarily on agriculture. Between 1910 and 1950, the population increased from 583 to 803. However, the construction of Interstate 35 and the growth of Kansas City spurred growth in Lenexa. By 1970, Lenexa was home to 5,242 people, but in 1980, the town had more than 18,600 residents. Lenexa is still growing, and during the 21st century, the population has increased almost 20 percent per decade.
Paving in Lenexa, KS
Lenexa’s economic base has diversified a great deal since the time when local truck farms were the major contributors to the town’s prosperity. Today, the retail, hospitality, education, logistics, manufacturing, health care, technology and transportation industries are all present in Lenexa. All Pro Asphalt frequently provides our services to restaurants, churches, schools, warehouses, hotels, offices, shopping centers and apartment complexes as well as homeowners in Lenexa.
• Asphalt Repair and Infrared Asphalt Restoration Lenexa, KS: There are situations that require the removal and replacement of damaged areas, particularly if the base needs to be repaired as well. However, severe damage can often be repaired through infrared asphalt restoration, a process that will leave you with a repair that is more attractive and less noticeable than a traditional repair.
• Asphalt Sealcoating Lenexa, KS: Having sealcoating applied whenever it is needed can often double the life of your asphalt pavement. Sealcoating protects against oil spills and UV rays, and it also improves the aesthetic appeal of the pavement.
• Asphalt Crack Repair Lenexa, KS: Sooner or later, your asphalt pavement will develop cracks. If you have the cracks repaired quickly, you may be able to avoid the development of potholes, alligator cracking, foundation destabilization and other types of serious damage that can be costly to remediate.
• Parking Lot Striping Lenexa, KS: Professionally applied line striping and pavement markings help you create the right impression. They also make your parking lot safer and help you comply with ADA regulations.
• Asphalt Paving Lenexa, KS: If you need to replace your driveway, install an asphalt overlay on a city street or build a new asphalt parking lot, All Pro Asphalt would be happy to assist you.
• Concrete Lenexa, KS: Installing concrete pavement requires careful attention to various details, technical expertise and specific equipment. All Pro Asphalt has the skills and equipment needed to ensure quality concrete installations, and we also offer concrete repairs.
All Pro Asphalt is an asphalt and sealcoating contractor that serves Lenexa, KS and our goal is to deliver work of the highest quality on every project. Whether you need asphalt paving, concrete installation, asphalt repair, sealcoating, asphalt crack repair, parking lot striping or concrete repair, we have the experience to provide you with excellent results at competitive rates. We offer free quotes, so request yours by completing the online form or calling 816-249-6800.